how can i help?
Everyone needs help sometime. It’s ok. I do too, and when I do, I look for someone that I feel understands my needs and limitations, and is truly working with me to achieve my goal.
Are you starting from scratch? I can help you. Perhaps you need help finding just one person, or you have a pile of information and no idea what to do with it, or perhaps you are missing quite a lot of your tree. You let me know what you hope to find out and we’ll embark on the adventure together.
What Can I do For You?
There is really no limit to the kinds of support I can provide. Together, you and I will create a list of goals for your family research. We will assess what you hope to learn and how that can best be achieved. Some examples are:
- Family Research Package – investigation into your surname(s) of choice, starting from the current day and working backwards. Based on our discussions of your goals, this package will, at a minimum, include:
- Genealogical Reports per the current standards (ancestor reports, descendant reports, family tree charts)
- Overview of the timeline of the family
- Copies of original records and primary source information
- Transcription of original documents (if applicable)
- Translation of original documents (if applicable)
- Transcription of interview recordings or notes – you may have collected notes, interviews, recordings and even videos over the years all relating to your family’s history, but no idea what to do with them now. Let me curate your collection and organise it into one body of work.
- Compilation of original documents into an archive-quality presentation – you may have a collection of original historical documents, such as birth and death certificates, marriage certificates, newspaper articles, that need to be preserved.
- Biographical sketch of a single ancestor – I will craft a biographical sketch of your ancestor(s) using the format accepted by the Australian Dictionary of Biography. For an example of this format, please visit: http://adb.anu.edu.au
- Translation of original documents from French or Spanish to English
- Creation of a GEDCOM file for pre-existing research – A GEDCOM file is the file format used to upload or share your family tree information with websites and genealogy software. I can create this for you, saving you the tedious data entry.
How does this work?
- Get in touch via Contact Me and I’ll send you a quick questionnaire to get a baseline understanding of where you’d like to go.
- Complimentary 1 Hour Consultation
- Once I have your questionnaire, we’ll chat for a bit to determine the scope of work, cost thresholds, payment arrangements, and a timeline for reporting and delivery.
- Once we come to an agreement, the project begins. I will always verify with you for additional costs before they are incurred. See What Will This Cost Me? below for more info.
What Will This Cost Me?
It can be intimidating to consider taking on a project that seems so big, but don’t worry! Between us we will create together a project that suits your expectations, and fits within your budget.
- My hourly rate is $30.00 AUD (excluding GST for Australian clients)
- Minimum engagement is four hours ($120.00 AUD (excluding GST for Australian clients)
- Additional costs (pending your approval) may be incurred for:
- Acquiring copies of original documents;
- Travel to records repositories;
- Copying of materials
Remember, the initial consultation is at no cost to you, and no obligation, either.
Key things to keep in mind:
- You are the client, you are always in charge.
- The more info you can give me to start with, the better our chances of success.
- Depending on the time period, or geographical locations, we may run across situations where some resources are simply not available, or the waiting time to receive documents is particularly long. I will always keep you apprised of progress and challenges to face together.